Access Panel and Misc Update

Since the last update, I’ve completed the access panel section. I’ve also started the brake section, which required a little research on best methods to torque fittings etc.. In the meantime I’ve started to tackle a couple of other miscellaneous items. I cut 2 NACA vents in the rear side skins to accomodate fresh air to the overhead console. I’ve also started to install Airward access covers for the sides of the tunnel to make it easier to access/inspect the fuel pump and filter there.

I’ve also started working a little closer with TS Flightlines to get going on my fuel line configuration using the SDS EFII system.

All tunnel access panels in place.

NAVA vent template
All cut on the right side

Baggage Area and Door Complete

Been making slow, but steady progress lately. Here’s a pic of the conduit and sound proofing done under the baggage floor and rear seats.

Some pics of the baggage floors down and working on the baggage bulkheads.

Been awhile since I’ve taken a picture of myself working on something… Overdue.

Starting to work on the baggage door frame.

Measuring the door hinge pins. I followed what Ed Krantz did with the baggage door hinge and making it flush to the skin. This required cutting about 1/4th of the inner part of the eyelets out in the center in order to slide the pins in from the center. The plans have the hinge proud of the skins and you slide the pin in from outside.

Measuring the pin for where to drill the retaining hole
pins cut to length and ends inserted into holes so they can’t move

Work has now started on section 35..


COM antennas and access plates

I’ve been working on finishing the following things under the rear seat and baggage floor boards prior to closing them up:

  1. 4 Conduit runs per side all secured to ribs and tailcone bulkheads. – Done
  2. Drilling holes for the COM antennas under the rear seats and installing backing plates – Done.
  3. Fabricating access plates on the rear seat pans to access the COM antennas. – Done
  4. Installing sound proofing. – 50% complete.

Some pics of the progress.

Four conduit runs were added to each side (3 shown here). Catepillar grommits added to lighting holes. Sticky zip-tie bases were pop riveted to the ribs to secure the conduit to the ribs. I took some scrap metal and made a cover for the lighning hole coming into the tailcone area and drilled 3 holes in it to secure the conduit along with a small section of angle riveted with an Adel Clamp for another lighting hole. This setup is mirrored on the right side as well.

Securing the conduit

I then drilled holes for the Delta Pop bent whip COM antennas I am using. Both COM antennas are going under the rear seats in the 2nd bay.  I used some 0.040″ sheet stock to fabricate up some backing plates to help with the extra drag imposed by the antennas on the skins. My friend Justin visited the project over the weekend and I was able to get him to help rivet the backing plates on. Thanks, Justin!

Antenna hole pattern drilled
Backing plate ready for riveting

I then needed to fabricate access plates for the rear seat pans seeing I’ll want/need access to the COM antennas to secure them and attach the coax cable at a later time. Not to mention it’s always good to have future access for maintenence.

Seeing the spacing between the ribs of the rear seats is pretty tight, I modeled the access plates after the VANs stall warning access covers just shrunk down.

One backing plate done, another in process
Backing plate installed on seat pan
Custom cover screwed into place
Both left and right side access covers complete

I’ve also managed to cut templates out of cardbooard using the rivet hole pattern of the floor pans and then transferred them to the soundproofing material I’m using. All of that is cut out and will be the last thing I install prior to closing up the floors for good.

Tailcone support

Spent a couple hours over the weekend building a proper support for the back half of the plane. I really needed my adjustable roller seat back and support for when I’m crawling around in the back of the plane.

I’ve added access panels for getting to the step bolts if I ever have a need in the future.

I also got my COM antennas, which I plan to mount under the rear seats. More goodies….

Currently working on COM antenna doublers for the skin, access panels for the antennas, finishing conduit runs, and soundproofing under the floors prior to closing up the baggage and rear seat areas, as after that, there will no longer be access to these areas.