More Tailcone

Making decent progress on the tailcone. I’ve got the lower structure completed and match drilled. Starting to work on putting the top skins on now. Getting close to taking everything apart to do some massive deburring.

I’ve also placed my order for the Quick Build Fuselage. Initially, I was thinking I would slow build this part, but have since decided to order the QB. I didn’t do it the standard way in terms of ordering both the QB wings and fuse at the same time, but that should be fine. It also helps spread out the money outlay a little bit.

My wings are currently scheduled to be shipped in January. Fuselage in April. I should have plenty to keep me busy between now and January. I still have to finish the tailcone, attach the entire emp together, and do the fiberglass fairings. That should keep me busy until the wings come. Then I’ll have some stuff to work on with the wings prior to getting the Fuse a few months later.


Starting to put the bulkheads on the bottom skin.

A video of me match drilling one of the bottom J-Channel Stiffeners.

Right side skin attached
Center line on J-channel stiffeners showing through the skin holes to make sure of proper edge clearance when drilling. 

Then I realized I had made a mistake. I had aligned one of the J-channel stiffeners to the wrong starting hole. Oops.

I had actually discovered it when I was checking to make sure that the aft end of the stiffener was captured by the tab in the bulkhead. Clearly it wasn’t.

So what I did was to slide the stiffener down and align the first drilled hole with the hole it should have aligned to. The end result was I had to drill extra holes almost equally spaced between the existing holes along the entire length of the stiffener. This worked well. I ran it by Van’s and got their blessing as well just to be sure the extra holes wouldn’t compromise the stiffener too much.

Shows the first hole in the stiffener aligned properly now. You can see new holes need to be drilled about equidistant between the existing holes in the stiffener. 
First couple of extra holes drilled. 
Starting to look like a real airplane piece
View from the front end looking back.
Aft deck on and aligning the longerons with clamps
Flipped on its side to match drill the bottom holes


One thought on “More Tailcone

  1. Bill Harr October 22, 2016 / 3:41 am

    Looks great, Adam! I love these posts. Airplane noises are soon to come 😉


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s